Friday, August 21, 2009

The Dentist

Well it was a day I had been dreading ever since I made the appointment. Dylan had to go to the dentist and have 3 caps AND 3 fillings. Well my sweet little boy wasn't scared....well he wasn't at first. When we first got there he was all smiles and enjoying his day.

Then we were called back and Dylan was given what they call a "Kiddie Cocktail" and we were told to just sit with him and let it take effect...... He hated it and didn't want to drink it all down but being the brave, good boy that he is he took it and even smiled for me when I asked if I could take a picture.

Now an hour and a half later the "cocktail" was not really having the effect that the nurse was expecting, he was getting antsy and fidgeting. Apparently Dylan has a high tolerance for medicine. But we were seeing signs that maybe it was working it's way into his system......

Now at this point I was very nervous for him but when they asked me to carry him back and lay him down on this very scary looking "chair" and started to strap him in, I started to lose it. I am a MOM after all and I do not like to see my baby being confined in a way that would make me panic! Especially when he wasn't knocked out yet! But Dylan was being so brave still and he just lay there and let them and was really good for the whole procedure (they did use laughing gas so he was napping for the whole process). The entire procedure took only about 20 minutes. I was amazed! And while there were some tears afterwards (only because Dylan's so smart mother didn't hide the chocolate covered pretzels I was snacking on and he wanted some right away) he was soon smiling for me and wanted to show me his new teeth!

After a very long nap, he hydrated and ate some eggs and was playing around with Deanna. I am so amazed! He didn't complain about any pain (and I didn't give him a drop of Ibuprofen...I tried to wake him up to give it to him and he just wasn't having it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment